Wednesday, September 28, 2016

My Fellow Super-Americans













The "What Would Clark Kent Do?" filter works surprisingly well. Here's a partial list of things I'm pretty sure he wouldn't do:

Make fun of fat women.
Make fun of ugly women.
Make fun of menstruation.
Make fun of the disabled.
Insult POWs.
Insult the parents of dead soldiers.
Extort his allies ("Eh, nice country you got here, be a shame if somethin' happened to it.")
Go into business with General Zod.
Praise the way General Zod handles the press and dissidents.
Suggest that General Zod could maybe help him get rid of his enemies.
Lie; then when confronted with that lie, double down or deny.
Brag.
Bluster.
Bully.
When caught bullying, retort "Can't you take a joke?"
Blame his failures on everyone but himself.
Appeal to people's worst instincts instead of their best.

Really, the list is practically endless. I keep waiting for a modern-day Joseph Welch versus Joe McCarthy moment, but I'm not sure we have it in us anymore. Decency is too old-fashioned.




I don't expect to change anyone's mind, and I'm breaking my rule about not doing politics online. Might regret it; don't care. I had to stand up and be counted. Clark would.

Here's the above comic laid out in two pages, which I wasn't sure would be readable at blog size. Click to embiggen. Thanks for your indulgence.



21 comments:

Sherwood Harrington said...

You can't see me, but trust me: I just sat down after standing and applauding.

CKochman said...

You are my super hero, Brian Fies!

Hank Gillette said...

As always, I found your post thoughtful and relevant. Thanks for posting this.

Mary Pierce said...

I'm with Sherwood. And Hillary. And you. Well drawn, well said. May decency prevail.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing. Really helps put it into perspective.

Mark Jackson said...

Super (and Kentish) job, Brian.

Sarah Leavitt said...

This is great, Brian. Thank you.

Unknown said...

Clark is the man. Superman is his job. This comic tells it the right way.

Unknown said...

Bravo! As long as sentiments like this still exist in the cultural hive-mind, old-fashioned decency has a fighting chance. (I'm also thinking Scott McCloud - whom we know and respect - has some grass-roots competition going on here with respect to understanding comics.)

Brian Fies said...

Thanks all. I'm glad this struck a chord. Richard, I know Scott McCloud too, and I'm no Scott McCloud. But I'm flattered.

Bartwalls42 said...

Will the election go as Brian hopes?
Will Superman win as a write in candidate?
Will we ever see a print version of The Last Mechanical Monster?

Find out on next weeks exciting episode of..... THE FIIIIES FIILESSS!

(Great job on the comic!)

Andrea Munger said...

Bravo, Brian. Times like these call for more excellent editorial comics like this. This would look great as a full-page ad in one of those... wossname...newspapers.

Anonymous said...

Was it kryptonite that felled Hillary at the 911 ceremony?

Bookworm said...

Well said! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

He wouldn't do anything, he's a fictional character, and the way he's portrayed in this cartoon, he must be a liberal, Hillary follower.

Unknown said...

Superman has always been slightly on the liberal side. But he does not follow presidents. He advises them. Ditto for candidates.

Bartwalls42 said...

Will the election go as Brian hopes?
Will Superman win as a write in candidate?
Will we ever see a print version of The Last Mechanical Monster?

Find out on next weeks exciting episode of..... THE FIIIIES FIILESSS!

(Great job on the comic!)

Unknown said...

Fantastic! Thank you for the perspective. I love it!

Anonymous said...

What? That's it ....just what?

Unknown said...

Nailed it, you did. Someone asked me once why I liked Captain America. I said, 'Captain America means it. He doesn't just preach it, he lives it." Same with the REAL Superman!

Unknown said...

Thank you for this. Wow.