Saturday, March 23, 2013

So Many Books, So Few Shelves

Trim's on. Holes're spackled. Final touch-ups are painted.

Books are loading in. I've got too many. It turns out that big mound I had piled on my floor that threatened to topple over and crush me every day actually comprised a lot of books. Who knew? Hard decisions are forthcoming.

I'm astonished how many comics, graphic novels, and books about comics and graphic novels I own. Even more astonishing is that I know a lot of the people who created them. That's a neat thing to take stock of once in a while.

Got enough shelves but ran out of shelf pegs. Off to Home Depot in the morning.

Bookshelves partially loaded. I've got quite a few more than will fit the available space. Some will probably end up in a cabinet underneath.


This was Karen's idea for the skinny center column: my literary oeuvre. The bottom shelf is WHTTWOT in English and German, with a few Adventures of Old Time-Traveling Brian zines tucked in the side. Second shelf holds a Deutscher Jugendliteraturpreis, Eisner, and Harvey awards. Third is Mom's Cancer in English, and fourth is the same in French, Italian and German.  The top shelf is other books that have my name in them for one reason or another--either I contributed something to them or they mentioned me. Me me me. That's what it's all about.
I think we'll be 96% done by the end of tomorrow. That's not a bad result for a hard, good week's work.

1 comment:

Brian Fies said...

Looking at that bottom photo, I just realized I didn't leave room for any paperback WHTTWOTs. Shoot. Where did I put those things?